- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- 8 servings
Bill Bailey's Tri-Tip Spinach Salad with Creamy Cucumber Dill Dressing. Tri-Tip is a great start for paleo and gluten-free diets. This salad makes a great lunch or dinner meal-in-bowl with its mix of fresh veggies and flavorful dressing. Homemade pickled onions are so easy and add just the right touch of texture and taste.
For the Salad
- 1 3-pound Bill Bailey’s Tuscan Style Tri-Tip Roast
- 8 C baby spinach leaves or your greens of choice
- 2 pt cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 C jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 C carrots, shredded
- 8 cooked and peeled beets, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cleaned and cut into matchsticks
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch half moons
- 1/2 C rice wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar, to your liking
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Peppercorns, fennel seed, red pepper flakes and/or fresh herbs
Creamy Cucumber Dill Dressing
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1-1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs fresh dill
- 2 Tbs fresh mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Loosely wrap the Tri-Tip in aluminum foil and place it on a baking sheet. Roast the Tri-Tip for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and roast for 10 minutes more or until or until you reach an internal temperature of 145ºF, or the desired doneness. Let the Tri-Tip rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain, for tenderness.
- In the meantime, or in advance, make the Pickled Onions by pouring boiling water over the onions and letting them sit for 30-seconds before draining. Place the vinegar, sugar and salt, and any aromatics you choose, in a glass jar with a lid. Shake to dissolve. Add the onions to the jar, shake well and leave the onions at room temperature for 30 minutes, then dig in. Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- To make the Creamy Cucumber Dill Dressing, place the cucumber, Greek yogurt, garlic, dill and mint in your blender. Season with salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- To assemble the salad, fill 8 large salad bowls with the spinach leaves and place the tomatoes, jicama, carrots, beets, cucumber, radishes and bell pepper around the greens. Top with sliced Tri-Tip and garnish with pickled onions. Serve with the dressing.