- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- 4 sandwiches
Bill Bailey's Tri-Tip Torta with Chipotle Mayonnaise. Move over subs and gyros as we add this hearty Tri-Tip filled Torta to our list of favorite sandwiches. We add pickled onions, jalapeños and chipotle mayonnaise, but feel free to add your own favorites.
- 2 lb Bill Bailey's Tri-Tip Roast
- For the pickled onions and jalapeños:
- 2/3 C cider vinegar
- 2/3 C water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- For the chipotle mayonnaise:
- 1 chili from a can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, minced
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 C mayonnaise
- For the sandwich assembly:
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 4 Telera rolls
- 4 leaves leaf lettuce
- 4 oz queso fresco, sliced
- For the quick chipotle salsa (optional)
- 2 chilis from a can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 C cilantro
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Loosely wrap the Tri-Tip in aluminum foil and place it on a baking sheet. Roast the Tri-Tip for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and roast for 10 minutes more or until you reach an internal temperature of 145ºF, or the desired doneness. Let the Tri-Tip rest for 20 minutes before slicing. NOTE: This recipe also works well with leftover Bill Bailey's Tri-Tip.
- While the Tri-Tip cooks, make the pickled onions and jalapeños. Wash hands with soap and water. In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, water and sugar, until the sugar has dissolved. Place the red onion and jalapeño slices in the mixture and let it sit at room temperature for an hour.
- Make the Chipotle Mayonnaise: In a small bowl combine the minced chipotle chili, lime juice and mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cut the rolls in half horizontally and use your fingers to remove some of the soft insides. Spread the chipotle mayonnaise on the cut side of both the top and bottom slices of each roll. Smear mashed avocado on the bottom bun. Top with lettuce, sliced Tri-Tip, cheese and the pickled onions and jalapeños. Cap each with the top bun.
- Serve with chips and Quick Chipotle Salsa (instructions below).
Quick Chipotle Salsa
- Combine all ingredients for the salsa into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth with some chunks remaining. Makes about 2 cups.