- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hrs
- 6-8 servings
Bill Bailey's Shredded Tri-Tip with Jalapeño Waffles and Maple Bourbon Sauce. Our version of a southern favorite. Plan the night before for the best breakfast ever or slow-cook all day to enjoy "breakfast for dinner."
- 1 Bill Bailey's Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip Roast
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1 C water
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- For the Maple Bourbon Syrup
- 1 C maple syrup
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 Tbs butter
- For the Waffles
- 2 2/3 C all purpose flour
- 1/3 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1/3 C unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large egg whites, gently whisked
- 1/2 jalapeño, peeled, seeded and finely minced
- For the Salad (Optional)
- 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 C olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 C arugula
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine Bill Bailey's Tri-Tip, onion, maple syrup, bourbon, water and liquid smoke in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until fork tender. Remove meat from the slow cooker and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, pull apart and shred the Tri-Tip, removing any visible fat.
For the Syrup
- As the Tri-Tip rests, make the syrup. In a small saucepan, add bourbon and maple syrup. Heat on medium-high heat to burn off alcohol and reduce liquid (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in melted butter. Let cool to room temperature or slightly warm before serving.
For the Waffles
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir with a whisk. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Preheat waffle iron until indicator is ready. Spoon approximately 1/2 cup of batter, close lid and cook until waffle is golden brown and steaming. Lift waffle with a fork to remove from waffle iron, place on a plate and keep warm.
- To serve, places waffles on plates, top with shredded Tri-Tip and maple bourbon syrup. Optional: serve accompanied by a salad of arugula and red onions with balsamic dressing.
For the Salad
- For dressing, combine balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey and olive oil in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to combine, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine arugula and red onion, toss with dressing.