- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hrs
- 8 - 10 servings
Bill Bailey's New Take on a Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner. We love tradition, but it's also nice to add a little something new every once in while. In this case, we kept the Corned Beef classic but added a variety of colorful and delicious veggies like golden beets and Japanese turnips.
- ` Bill Bailey's Corned Beef Round
- 1/2 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 small savoy cabbage, cut into wedges
- 16 small fingerling potatoes
- 10 Japanese turnips, peeled
- 10 baby golden or striped beets, peeled
- 10 baby carrots, peeled
- 10 baby parsnips, peeled
- 16 pearl onions, peeled
- 2/3 C sour cream
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs prepared horseradish, drained
- 2 Tbs chives, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven, place corned beef and cover with cold water. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Remove any scum that may have risen to the surface.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered until the meat is tender, about 3 hours. Remove from braising liquid, place on a cutting board, cover and let rest before slicing. Reserve two cups braising liquid.
- Meanwhile, prep vegetables and keep in cold water in the fridge.
- Make horseradish sauce in a small bowl by stirring together sour cream, vinegar, horseradish and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Thirty minutes before serving, lay the prepared vegetables into a large braising pan with a tight fitting lid. Ladle 2 cups of braising liquid from the dutch oven over the vegetables and add some fresh water. Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Serve with the sliced corned beef and horseradish cream.