- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hrs
- 8 - 10 servings
Bill Bailey's Mustard-Crusted Baked Corned Beef Dinner with Seared Cabbage. We love this dinner! After simmering in a Dutch oven, we finish the Corned Beef by adding a tasty Mustard crust and baking in the oven. The roasted and seared cabbage adds texture and layers of flavor to complete the meal.
- 1 Bill Bailey's Corned Beef Round
- 1/2 onion, cut into 2 or 3 large chunks
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 Tbs whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbs honey mustard
- 1 Tbs light brown sugar
- 1 head Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place Corned Beef, onion, carrot and celery in a large Dutch oven with tight fitting lid. Cover corned beef with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and braise 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until tender firm when pierced.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine mustards and brown sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Remove carrot, onion and celery and about half the liquid from the Dutch oven. Remaining liquid should be about half way up the side of the corned beef. Spread mustard mixture over top of corned beef and place Dutch oven uncovered into the oven.
- Bake until tender and browned, 30 to 60 minutes more. If meat is tender and top not fully browned, place under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from oven, cover with lid and allow the meat to rest while you roast the cabbage.
- Slice meat to desired thickness and serve with roasted and seared cabbage.
Roasted and Seared Cabbage Wedges
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Cut the cabbage into 8 equal-sized wedges and arrange them on the baking sheet.
- With a pastry brush, brush cabbage wedges with oil and season with salt and pepper. Turn over wedges and repeat.
- Roast cabbage for about 10 minutes until the bottom and edges have browned. Turn over and continue roasting about 10 minutes more. Serve alongside the Corned Beef.